This week has been basically a repeat of last week...which means that we still have a language helper. YEAH! John has been very helpful as he teaches us the Toposa language as well as translates for us when we are storying. Usually I feel like my brain is on overload, but at least a few words and phrases seem to be sticking!
Our stories this week have been from Genesis 12, 15 and 17 when God makes His covenant with Abraham, and also Genesis 22, the sacrifice of Isaac. Many Toposa are continuing to listen and can recall the other stories that we have told so far. This next week we will be telling stories about Isaac's son, Jacob.
Alyssa and I have also started to tell some of the stories from the HIV/AIDS curriculum that we are using. All the stories are designed to teach the truth about HIV/AIDS, how to protect yourself and others from the disease, as well as how we need Jesus to heal our spiritual sickness that causes physical sickness in the first place. It's surprising/depressing to hear what many people think about AIDS (it doesn't exist, only people from towns get it, we can only get it from monkeys, we will kill anyone who brings AIDS from town, etc), and to realize how far they have to go to be able to accept the truth.
This week as you are praying for the Toposa, pray specifically that God will help us tell the story of Jacob and Esau in a way that is honoring to Him and that brings truth to the people who hear it. Also pray that the village who will be hearing the HIV/AIDS stories this week will be full of adults who are willing to listen to some challenging information that they might not like.
I leave you with this. I woke up at 1am last week because it was crawling up my leg. Rude. The long tail grosses me out big time.
I can imagine your mom is looking forward to a similar early morning wakeup call. :) I'm thankful she can come...wish I could get packed away in the suitcase too.
ReplyDeleteJoAn