Thursday, February 16, 2012

Now Accepting Applications...

...for a new language helper.

Sigh.

In the meantime, I am trying to "redeem" my time that would otherwise be spent learning new words and phrases with a paid helper and learn new vocabulary for free in one of the villages near our compound. This only works to a certain extent because the women in these villages can't explain to me in Toposa (or English!) how to structure sentences and verb tenses...but a few words are better than nothing and at least I am developing friendships.

Today I walked to Nanok's village, which was the one in the Ngakidamdam post a few months ago. Nanok has been coming to our weekly story group on the compound as well as going with us to another area to listen to the stories again! She always has a smile on her face (rare for a Toposa) and she has been one of the few who doesn't talk to me at warp speed because she knows I'm still learning her language...I totally appreciate this! Today I learned that she is the only wife (so far) to her husband Karlo and she has two kids named Korim (the cane part of sorghum cane) and Lomoni (bush). We had Horticulture 101 in Toposa today and she taught me the differences in the thorns (different name for different sizes and shapes). I did my best to tell the basic story of Jacob and Esau in Toposa to some of the other ladies who were sitting with us and Nanok filled in the blanks since she had heard the story twice already this week.

I feel like I am being so repetitive in asking for people to pray about our language situation but Alyssa and I are really limited in our ministry when we don't have language help! It's discouraging to be back at square one again but we know that God knows what our language situation needs to be right now and for the rest of our terms so we are trusting him to provide the right person at the right time. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for us and we are asking for continued prayers for us and our ministry.

1 comment:

  1. praying right now!!! man, that's so cool you are still able to tell some stories. and also, Jesus is in your heart and He is with you. He is doing a million things in this one particular situation. praying your trust and faith in Him would grow strong through this hardship, and that He would reveal Himself more fully to you. loooooove!!!

    ReplyDelete