Saturday, September 1, 2012

I Love Pumpkin

One of the benefits of having Toposa mothers/friends is that sometimes we are given stuff from their gardens. Pumpkins are now "in season" and so I am loving it! We've already cooked two and still have another one and a half left to go! A little glimpse of the process:

Regina's garden is really close to our compound so it's easy to walk to.

Pumpkins here are usually green and white on the outside, not orange.

Notice how tall the sorghum stalks are. I get seriously nervous whenever I can't see Regina because I'm afraid I won't be able to find my way out! 


It's a LOT of pumpkin so I can only fit half of it at one time into our biggest pot. 

Depending on the pumpkin, it takes 1-2 hours on the charcoal cooker for it to soften.

 

This is only half of the pumpkin, all mashed up with a fork. After it's cooled then we freeze it. I'm pretty sure most of our freezer space will be filled with pumpkin, which is fine by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment