The grand finale of our trip to London was that I got to spend six days in the hospital with a nasty bout of malaria. This was my second time to have it in three months, and this time was way worse!
Obviously, I did not get malaria in England. Malaria symptoms usually start showing 1-3 weeks after infection, so I must have gotten it just before we left South Sudan. The last time I had it I was tired and had a headache for about a week before the "real" symptoms kicked in, but this time all of that was masked by a cold/jet lag and so once I got sick, I got sick fast.
Because my fever was so high and I was so "out of it" at the doctor's office, they decided to admit me to one of the hospitals here in Nairobi, thinking that I would only be there for 24 hours, long enough to do a round of IV anti-malarial treatment.
Long story short, it was a bad case of the worst strain of malaria you can have (with a side of respiratory problems), and I wasn't in good enough shape to go home until six days later. Alyssa and Emily are the best friends ever and took turns sleeping at the hospital every night and even bought me flowers for when I came home. I'm feeling much better now, just tired and a little out of breath when I talk. The hospital pharmacy sent me home with a whole cocktail of pills to take every day (8 just at breakfast!). I am so thankful for all the people who prayed for me while I was in the hospital, and who continue to pray for me as I get back to feeling 100%. Your support and love means more than you will ever know!
Minster,
ReplyDeleteWe're so glad that you're better! Thank You God for taking care of our girl!
Christi, Adin, Charlotte
Praising our sweet Father that you're better! Prayers From West Africa!-Abby:)
ReplyDelete