While I was technically staff for the training in Zambia, I think I had more fun than some of the participants! It was a really great month of old friends, new friends, and lots of good experiences. While the adults were doing their urban training we were in Lusaka, and then we drove 5 hours northeast to Petauke for the rural portion. Living in tents, using an outhouse and taking bucket showers weren't anything unusual for me, but it was COLD! While I did kind of whine about it a lot (oops), I enjoyed being able to wear my sweatshirt!
The children were in school most mornings, but we also did field trips to help them learn about Zambian culture. On this particular day we went to the market in Petauke and they got to watch a lady make fritas (kind of like large, unsweetened donut holes). The boy that I was holding was so cute that the lady gave him one for free!
The last few days we went to a really nice resort to debrief. The kids got to watch movies and swim. One morning our two-year-old class collected guinea fowl feathers that they found on the ground. One of them told their parents that we had "put guinea fowls in a bag" which was misleading, but funny!
Staff of the kids' training.
After the training was over I flew back to Nairobi and the next day hiked in Hell's Gate National Park with another Journeyman and her friend who is visiting from America. If you're ever in Kenya, go to Hell's Gate! It was beautiful, and hiking through the gorge was a really neat experience.
I.Love.Kenya.








No comments:
Post a Comment