Monday, March 26, 2012

"Wanna Meet For Drinks Later?"

One way I have chosen to describe life here is by using the word bipolar. One minute nothing is happening, the next minute everything is total chaos. Walking into the village we see no one, then we turn the corner and 16 drunk ladies come screeching our way wanting us to help build the house they're working on, and the next minute 10 other ladies are pulling us away so that we can teach God's Word under the tree. Madness.

In the span of two hours this afternoon I:
-drove to Kapoeta to get the truck tires changed.
-had an SPLA soldier with an AK-47 on his lap tell me that I needed to sit down because the sun would make me fall over. I sat down.
-had the same SPLA soldier tell Alyssa and I to give him one of our new tires so he could put it on the SPLA truck. We said no.
-had two guys ask if they could put their father's dead body in the back of the truck so that they could bring him back to their village to bury him. No room. 8 old tires in the back of the truck.
-got asked out by a UN deputy secretary something or other. I also said no.
-got a puncture in one of the new tires as I drove away from the tire repair place.
-bought two little Toposa girls their first coke and had to convince them that it wasn't beer. Nakai's face was hilarious! She kept closing her eyes and scrunching her nose because the bubbles "hurt" her tongue.

The end. How was your day?

5 comments:

  1. Lots of 'firsts' and surprises in your day! And a few lessons on when to say no :) Thanks for sharing. Oh, my day? Nothing to report, yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. Your life is crazy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that you said "no" to a guy with and AK47 in his lap! Lots of gall, that Mindy
    Love the post! especially Nakai's response to coke

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read some of this out loud to dan. ha!! i agree...bipolar sounds about right. hope you are doing great this week. praying for you, as always! :) love.

    ReplyDelete