I'm sitting upstairs at my parents' house in Dallas in the middle of a bunch of suitcases. Yesterday I packed up my car (after giving away or throwing away a TON of stuff) and drove a very full Mazda 3 to Dallas to drop off a few things before going to Richmond. Part of me is glad to finally be going to FPO and the other part of me is really sad to be leaving Lubbock. Plenty of people don't like Lubbock, either because they haven't been there but think there's nothing there but flatness, brown grass and wind..or because they've been there and know that there really is nothing there but flatness, brown grass and wind. Even though Lubbock isn't that pretty, I think it's the people there that make it great. I've lived there for six years and have some great memories and some wonderful relationships that helped shape who I am today. Most of my best friends are people I met while going to Texas Tech and even though the last couple of weeks have been full of hard goodbyes, I'm glad that I have meaningful relationships and people in my life to encourage and support me.
Thank goodness I can go back one more time before I leave for South Sudan in October! Lubbock will be in my rearview mirror for good then, but Mac Davis was wrong! It will be a sad day because I will leave a lot of great memories behind. But then again, I'm gaining a lot more than I'm losing and I am thankful that God is the same in South Sudan as He is in Lubbock.
Mindy, I had to chuckle at your explanation of why most people don't like Lubbock — "either they haven't been there ... or they have been there...." I don't think I've been to Lubbock, itself, but have been to west Texas a few times ... 'nuff said. I'm east coast foothills born and bred. Add to that 25 years in the highlands of Kenya. I like hills and trees and grass....
ReplyDeletePraying for you as you continue your journey to South Sudan.