Sunday, September 4, 2011

Warning: Not For the Faint of Heart

I'll just go ahead and tell you that if you're not into pictures of bloody, headless chickens then you shouldn't read this post.

If you're not sure whether or not you're into pictures of bloody, headless chickens...go ahead and read it. You know you want to!

Our Sub-Saharan Africa leaders are awesome and have come up with so many creative ways to help us learn "extra-curricular" things about living in Africa. I've blogged before about having dinner at their house African-style, making bread in a pot on the stove, and drying meat. Today was chicken killing 101. Here we go.


Step one: cutting board.


Step two: gather all your friends, make a fire, pass out the utensils and don't forget your box of live chickens.


Step three: say hello to my little fren'


Step four: after watching teammate cut their chicken through the brain you and your partner discuss the pros and cons of just whacking the head off and letting it run around for a while.


Step five: hold headless chicken after it has run around on the grass and debate how much you're regretting the decision to participate in the first place.


Step six: admire bloody chicken head on previously mentioned cutting board. Resolve to never use that cutting board again.






Step seven: after dunking the chicken in boiling water, pluck all the feathers off, channel your inner butcher and try to remember that you still enjoy Chick Fil A.


Step eight: place chicken in trash bag and put in quad-mate's fridge for them to enjoy later.



6 comments:

  1. step nine: borrow pictures from your friend Emily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm trying to think of how I can 1-up you on this... But I just don't think I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thyra would be proud--these were her kind of skills. And you've now gone way beyond homeschooling and sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suggestion: dry the chicken in the manner you learned last week during the hurricane. You'd seriously know you were a missionary when... the meat hanging from paper clips in your shower would be from chickens you butchered yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post wasn't as gross and bloody as I thought it would be. glad I read it :) and I will laugh if the girls had to do this too... you know where they're gonna live!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha this is hilarious Mindy! I love your descriptions!

    ReplyDelete