So far so good in Nairobi! I really like Nairobi more than I thought I would. It’s very British and very African at the same time so it’s a fun mix. I'm staying at a guest house until Thursday, then fly to South Sudan.
Nairobi has a KFC now, AND a Yogurt Planet. WIN! I met up with Ester, Emily and their crew for yogurt for lunch and had KFC for dinner tonight. I would never think KFC is that good in the US but I’m thinking that by the time I come back from months in Sudan I’ll think it’s the best food ever!
I’ve gotten a lot of shopping done in preparation for Sudan. The other day I got out some of the food I’d brought from the US and combined it with some of the food I got here, just to see what I had. A lot of food is what I have!
All the fresh stuff had to be peeled, chopped, sliced, parboiled, cooled, bagged, and frozen before it goes into the cooler on the plane. Now my freezer looks like this:
Trying to plan in advance like this is super challenging so hopefully I’ll have a better idea of what to get when we come out again in January. Right now I have pineapple, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, red and green bell pepper and probably something else I forgot. Plus 6 double chicken breasts and 1 kg of beef are underneath all the produce.
One thing I’ve noticed with all the food shopping that I’ve done is that all the nutrition labels have kilojoules listed instead of kilocalories like in the US. I’m currently snacking on these really good ginger cookies that were meant for Sudan but honestly, I’m probably going to finish the whole package tonight (since I haven’t bothered to convert to calories to know how much I’m eating) so I’ll have to just get more tomorrow. Darn...
So glad you get to adjust and get over jet lag before going to South Sudan. Love all the food prep. you are going to have all sorts of new foods and recipes when you come back. Praying for you daily!
ReplyDeleteHA!! i love it. :) safe travels and so glad you could update!!!
ReplyDeleteYay!! that you will have food.... I am SO proud of you. And WOW I had no clue how much you needed to do to make it possible to eat healthily there. Will be praying!!
ReplyDelete