Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Week (mostly) In Bed, and the Good News

I got strep throat for the first time ever, and I'm blaming Davis. He had it in Uganda, and he should've left it there. This totally kicked my butt and I was in bed starting right after breakfast on Tuesday until Friday. Yesterday was the first day I felt like a human being again and today all that's left of The Plague is a little bit of a cough. Thank you, antibiotics!

Because I was asleep and/or heavily medicated for 4 days I feel like the week flew by. It's already Sunday again! Last week we were in Kop on Sunday night. A big group of us had finished singing and were sitting on the ground listening to a Toposa man named Joseph tell the story of the rich young ruler when all of the sudden a very drunk man runs up to the group and HIGH KICKS his way into the middle. HA! He kept falling down so he would high kick, then lay on the ground until some of the people pushed him out of the circle. This happened 3 or 4 times. High kick, fall down. High kick, fall down. Eventually his friends carried him away and we went back to listening to the Bible story.

This morning we met under a mango tree and listened to the story of Luke 1 where the angel Gabriel appears to Zachariah and also to Mary. We will listen to and discuss Luke 2 in our groups next week in preparation for Christmas. As people in the US are trying to remember the "reason for the season" there are millions of people in other parts of the world who have never even learned about the Reason in the first place! As you are reading/hearing the Christmas story, pray for the Toposa as they hear about "the Good News of great joy which is for all people!"

No comments:

Post a Comment