So just when I was starting to think that FPO needed a little excitement...we had an earthquake! At 5.9 magnitude, apparently it's the biggest earthquake in these parts since 1897. We were sitting in our session right after lunch (which is really the worst time to have 200 people sit and listen to a speaker) and everything starts rumbling. At first I thought it was thunder, then I thought it was our contingency training starting early, then I realized that no we were not in a simulator and the floor shouldn't be moving. We all ran out the door, appropriately using the emergency exit doors, and stood outside waiting for everything to stop moving. It only lasted about 30 seconds but it was intense! Nobody was hurt and as far as I know there wasn't any damage to any buildings on our campus, and the internet/phone connections were only messed up for a few hours. There was a 4.2 magnitude aftershock about 7 hours later, but nothing happened, just a little freaky.
I know 5.9 isn't the biggest deal ever, but for a girl from Texas it's pretty exciting! Good to know that I don't have to be in South Sudan for the action to start!
Oh, and Hurricane Irene is headed our way. Bring it.
No comments:
Post a Comment